Raw food is all about preserving and getting the most out of nutrients that are naturally packaged in fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds. Making fresh juices and raw smoothies has become a way to make these vital nutrients easy to access and absorb by our cells in large quantities.
But, before we dive into this exhilarating world of juicing and ‘smoothing’ I would like to introduce the heavy weight champ among natural juices – good old fashioned lemonade.
Lemons contain vitamin C, citric acid, flavonoids, B-complex vitamins, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and fiber.
Lemon juice, once it is metabolized in our body, gets a major make-over. It goes from acidic (having a low pH value) to alkaline (high pH value).
Alkaline environment is conducive to balance and health. Toxins in our food, water, environment, as well as stress, create a highly acidic environment. This is when our body starts getting out of balance and can become sick.
So, these tangy, bright yellow gems are not only an essential food in kitchens around the world, but they are also one of the most powerful alkalizers and detoxifiers we’ve got.
This is how you make lemonade/lemon water:
1. Wash lemon well (if possible use organic)
2. Cut lemon in half
3. Squeeze each half of a lemon
4. Add to 1-2 glasses of water.
Add raw organic honey to taste (optional) and enjoy!
Lemonade has best alkalizing effect if enjoyed unsweetened, warm (not hot), and as the first thing in the morning.
This super drink does the following (a short list):
1. Boosts your immune and cardiovascular system: Vitamin C is great for fighting infections and potassium stimulates brain and nerve function, helps your heart beat and helps control the blood pressure.
2. Aids digestion: increases peristalsis in the bowels helping to create regular bowel movements thus eliminating a large amount of waste.
3. Helps in weight loss: Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings. It also has been shown that people who are hydrated and maintain a more alkaline diet lose weight faster.
4. Acts as a gentle, natural diuretic: Lemon water helps flush out unwanted materials because lemons increase the rate of urination in the body. This helps keep your urinary tract healthy.
5. Clears skin: The vitamin C helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes. Lemon water purges toxins from the blood which helps keep skin clear as well. It helps to neutralize free radicals linked to aging and most types of disease.
6. Helps to dissolve: gallstones, calcium deposits, and kidney stones due to citric acid.
So, what do you do when life gives you lemons?
You make lemonade every day and thrive.
P.S. I encourage you to replace your morning coffee, black tea or any other juice from a carton, with a tall glass of lemonade this entire week, and see what happens. You might just ask for more!